Matthias@Hacker Hotel - Follow up21 Apr 2015
The given talk went quite well, I think. You can find the recording under this link. Unfortunately, I can’t share the slides directly.
Beside the link list for more information at the bottom of the post, I need to correct or emphasize a few things from the talk here:
- The s/360 architecture is built to be not only compatible, as mentioned in the talk. The architecture is binary compatible since 1964!
- For the IBM it was a 5 billion dollar bet not like mentioned a 1 billion dollar bet.
Further sources and articles which you may be interested to get more information about mainframes:
- IBM Redbook: Introduction to the New Mainframe: z/OS Basic
- IBM Redbook: Introduction to the New Mainframe: z/VM Basics
- IBM Redbook: IBM z13 Technical Introduction
- IBM - Principle of Operations
- [IBM - The new three Musketeers - one Mainframe for all] (https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/files/form/anonymous/api/library/7876d3d8-d8e9-4c09-9b1e-d286bf0ff396/document/b22e2cf8-698f-4a96-961f-5d5820953be6/media/The_New_Three_Musketeers-IArnold.pdf)
- IBM Redbook: ABCs of IBM z/OS System Programming Volume 1 in a series of 13 volumes.
- Hercules s390x emulation
In addition I want to show you a very good article about 7 mainframe taboos we should break.